User Tag List

Thread: On Nintendo losing Rare. Our loss or not?

Administrator
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Nintendo losing Rare. Our loss or not?

I remember during the N64-era, I was treated by great games from Rare. From Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, GoldenEye, and Perfect Dark. It was all fun, although they did miss a few like Donkey Kong 64 (still great though).

Now Nintendo sold them to MS, saying that they contributed very little. True that SFA was a tad shallow, I'm still impressed by the game (Visually it's a stunner).

Was it really necessary? I mean they could have just grabbed the company and booted everyone () and they retain core RARE franchises like Perfect Dark. As it stands, MS is not the holder of these titles, yet they're not doing anything about it. If the rumors I read at the IGN forums is true, RARE is in turmoil internally. That's why they were only able to release 1 game for the Xbox, and it was met with mixed reaction. Or maybe these are just propaganda against the company, who knows.

I still want my Jet Force Gemini 2 and Perfect Dark 2, but now they will be released by the MS camp. If and when only they know.

So, is it our loss? Was RARE games one of the reason you own a Gamecube?

EDIT 25 OCT 2007: [md5]Congratulations! PM the converted value and get a free Shine![/md5]
    jromz03@Pinoy-N.com. Love you too!

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not Really, though Rare makes polished games, they are highly unoriginal and copied concepts created by Nintendo. Banjo Kazooie and DK64 are both collect-a-thons whose roots is Super Mario 64. Diddy Kong Racing is a knockoff of Mario Kart. SFA tried Zelda, but is not as successful. Only Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are a little original (sniper mode, etc) but it still rooted in PC FPS games...

Nintendo makes quite a bundle by selling it to Microsoft. Microsoft still has to makes a cent from their purchase unless you count whatever royalties they collect from those GBA Rare games...

Is Blast Corps a Rare creation? I thought it made by those guys that makes Grand Theft Auto...

Buying Games companies are the worst investment...because mostly the programmers just cash-in and left the company the first chance it got (after contract termination). Blizzard is one example. And Games companies rarely last...One good game doesn't necessarily mean it's next creation will be just as great...Look at Shiny Ent. David Perry and company hit paydirt with Aladdin, Earthworm Jim, MDK, and Wild 9 But lately all it has to show was the very-average Matrix.

Ken Loob is not indispensable the way Sigeru Miyamoto is. Many of Rare's game benefitted from Miyamoto and his team's feedback. Remember when SFA was Dinosaur Palnet back then.... Still hoping Ken can redeem themselves with their Xbox debut whenever it arrives that is...

So Rare is not a rarity to me... With Retro Studios working on Metroid Prime 2, who needs Rare?

Umaaljoriz
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranYour first Group25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (looks at RARE's Xbox game GRABBED BY THE GHOULS)...

Now tell me if that's something we should be envy with?
    GTalk: aljoriz FB: aljoriz YM: cubephilippines 3DS FC: 4983-5217-5448

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RARE games i own:

goldeneye: a true masterpiece

perfect dark: some good improvements, but the magic of goldeneye isn't there

donkey kong country: thought it was good THEN. now... what was i thinking?

seriously, i totally forgot about rare until the whole 'oh no, nintendo sold rare blah blah blah'. it's seriously not a total loss unless they release SOMETHING phenomenal. 'grabbed by ghoulies'? give me a break.

rare is truly a company that lives up to it's name. good riddance, we got square-enix support and namco exclusives. i shed no tears.
    'Impossible is just a word to make people feel better when they stop trying' - Vyse

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greasedlytning
    rare is truly a company that lives up to it's name.
    hahaha!

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible. - St. Francis of Assisi

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a lost to Nintendo... the Rare team that M$ got was not the same talent\team that made those great games to Nintendo. Grabbed by the Ghoulies was a disappointment.

PS2 Rulez!!!
    Nintendo Forever!!!