Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virtual Console Discussion

Nintendo Discusses Revolution and WiFi
    More on game downloads and a new form of networking

Some good... Some bad (AKA it costs money)

Nintendo brought Revolution to the Japanese press for the first time on the morning of the 7th, a few weeks following the system's debut at last month's E3. During the press conference, president Satoru Iwata leaked a few exciting details on what we can look forward to with the system, and also touched upon Nintendo's other plans.

Iwata highlighted a few features of the Revolution. First off, the system is thin, small and doesn't get in the way. It's also quiet and uses little power. Players will be able to get their hands on a controller that's wireless and isn't scary to touch (more hints on the controller, below!).
    Regarding the system's backwards compatibility features, Iwata refered to this part of the Revolution as a "Virtual Console." From a technical standpoint, all NES, Super NES and N64 games can work with the system, although it's unclear if every game in Nintendo's tremendous back catalogue will be available.

There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games.

Backwards compatibility for GameCube goes beyond just the software. You'll be able to use all controllers (Wave Bird included), memory cards, the Mario Party microphone, the Dance Dance dance pad and even the Donkey Konga konga controller.

The downloads will, as previously announced, be stored in flash memory. You'll be able to store games in the 512 megabytes built into the system, but should this fill up, you can transfer your downloads to an SD memory card and use your computer to manage the files. Iwata didn't elaborate, but did state that copy protection is in place (so don't expect to simply send downloaded game copies to your friends by e-mail).

Nintendo's use of flash memory rather than a hard disk was very much intentional. The company believes that kids as young as five years old will use the Revolution and could damage a built-in hard disk. Additionally, Iwata points to longevity, reliability and cost as being part of the decision to go with flash.

The internal flash memory is being used for a few areas besides the download of game classics. You'll be able to save games to the flash area, update the Revolution's firmware (adding new features along the way, presumably) and download game demos! That's right, Revolution game demos, downloaded right to your Revolution hardware.

Aside from general specifications, three main areas of the system have yet to be revealed: the shape and functionality of the controller, the price and release date and the software lineup. Nintendo has held back on these areas for competitive reasons, but all three will be revealed before the end of the year.

The controller in particular seems to be getting quite a bit of attention, with Nintendo software master Shigeru Miyamoto commenting at the press conference that the company is making a big investment in creating the device. Iwata added, "I think you will be surprised by the Revolution's controller."

Moving away from Revolution (sorry... that's all we have for you!), Iwata spoke a bit about Nintendo's non-console plans. The company's WiFi internet service is coming along, with plans still in place to establish at least 1,000 free access points throughout Japan that will allow DS users to play Online games. In Japan, the company has two Online compatible titles planned for the end of 2005, Mario Kart DS and Animal Forest. These two titles, as well as all Nintendo Online games will have no additional fees for Online play. Twenty-five developers have signed on to support Nintendo's new Online service, although it's unclear if they will all jump on the free service bandwagon.

Almost as interesting is the new type of communication being planned for Nintendogs. Nintendo's dog simulation is already out in Japan and is one of the hottest games around (outside of Nintendo's own Otona no DS Training game). Starting 6/21, Nintendo will begin opening up special areas in train stations and shops where Nintendogs owners will be able to walk around with their DS flaps closed and have their Nintendogs cartridges communicate with one another automatically, trading dog data.

Iwata also pointed to a few sales trends for recent NDS titles. Nintendogs, the DS's biggest hit since launch, has sold over 40% of its copies to female players -- almost double what normal DS games sell. Meanwhile, the adult-oriented Otona no DS Training has sold well with older gamers, and is also performing better than usual amongst ladies. Nintendo, incidentally, refers to both titles as being part of its "Touch Generations" series of games that bring new players to videogames. The series continues later this month with two more titles.

The Revolution, Iwata revealed at the press conference, will actually feature simple titles like Otona no DS Training. But don't worry -- you'll also get big, epic titles like Zelda.
    Not free. But at least they're optioning giving them away with game purchases, which without a credit card, is probabably the only way I'll get it

Fin.

Not your typical wannabe feeling PR mouthpiece

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    survey ito ng nintendo re their VIRTUAL CONSOLE and is not indicative of the final product..they have the same screens up sa kotaku/joystiq hehehe

Administrator
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GC Controllers Won't Work on Rev Games
    (Of course, they'll still work with GameCube games and possibly other Virtual Console games.)
    PGC

Awwww. I was hoping it would work.
    jromz03@Pinoy-N.com. Love you too!

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://revolution.ign.com/articles/688/688376p1.html
    N-Query at cube.ign[/url]]Revolution Prices and Models

Hey Matt,

A few questions:

1) How do you think producers will price games that were simultaneously developed for all three next-gen consoles? I understand the Rev won't support HD which will lower production costs, but what about, for instance, EA's games? They'll have to be built from the ground up with HD compatibility. Will they lower the cost of Madden NFL '07 for the Rev by $10-20 just because HD support is turned off? They may also feel that the cost of developing a new control system and interface justifies the 'next-gen' price. What do you think?

2) I expect to see some third party publishers distribute small games over the Rev's online service. How attractive is this business model for a large publisher? I think they will continue to focus on big-budget, traditionally-distributed franchises in the same way that big film studios overwhelmingly focus on summer blockbusters instead of indie films. Agree? Are we going to see spin-off developers that only make games for XBLA, the Rev's VC, and the PS3's online thing?

2) Do you think we'll see small, first party games produced specifically for distribution through the Rev's online service?

Thanks,
    Brian

Matt responds: Some very important questions, Brian. Having just arrived back from DICE 2006 where I met with developers, publishers and folks like Reggie Fils-Aime and Perrin Kaplan, I actually have a lot to say on these subjects so let's get started.

I had the good fortune to have lunch with Reggie and Perrin last week during a roundtable get together and I asked Reggie about Revolution's software pricing model. I asked if consumers would see cheaper Revolution games priced in the $19.99 to $29.99 range given that Nintendo's console would theoretically be cheaper to develop for - at least, according to the company. Reggie responded that while that was one possibility, the other is that publishers might simply choose to keep the profits for themselves, which is a discouraging proposition. Imagine if EA or even Nintendo spent half the resources and money developing a Revolution project and then charged full price for the game . The option is available to publishers.

Does that mean all Revolution games will hit at $59.99? I wouldn't bet on it. But neither are we likely to see an enforced price structure of under $30 for some of the - shall we say - shallower games. I expect that some publishers will offer the rebate to consumers and others won't.

As for your second question, I really do think that the virtual console will be supported in a big way by developers and publishers, but I also agree with you that there will be a divide where new retro-style games are concerned. I met with a couple of big-name publishers at DICE who talked about being very, very excited for Revolution's virtual console service. Based on that alone, I expect Nintendo will have no problems getting the classics on its machine. However, I don't believe that too many publishers will invest the time or money to make completely new efforts for the downloadable service. Most will come from the so-called garage developers, or smaller houses.

A couple of interesting side notes. First, Xbox Live Arcade is actually off to a great start. Some of the publishers I chatted with said that their games have been selling quite well on the service. Evidently Geometry Wars has sold more than 60,000 copies, too, according to insiders. Microsoft offers 70 percent of Arcade profits to publishers, keeping 30 percent for itself. I wonder if Nintendo will be so generous? If not, it could run into some support problems.

Here's a scary revelation. A publisher at DICE told me that it met with Nintendo about putting its considerable library of classics on Revolution. According to this company - and bear in mind I cannot verify this as true - when it brought up the idea, a Nintendo representative blankly responded: "Oh, we hadn't thought about offering third party arcade games for the service yet." If this is true, I can only shake my head in disgust and pray that somebody somewhere gets fired.
    "Imagine if EA or even Nintendo spent half the resources and money developing a Revolution project and then charged full price for the game"

This is really discouraging, i hope it doesnt happen

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 616
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GENESIS XVII
    Sega on Revolution: What We Want to Play

Written by: Staff

The Sega Genesis is still a symbol of cool, a sexy looking 16-bit monster that's fueled by the phenomenon that is blast processing.

Ok, so blast processing never existed and most peoples' Genesis consoles are collecting dust in their attics, but we love reminiscing about all of the classic games as well as the company's brutal marketing campaign, advertising designed to make Nintendo look like child's play. After all, Genesis Does What Nintendon't!

Despite the carnage that ensued during the 16-bit war, both Nintendo and Sega were big enough to kiss and make up and that's why we're excited about the Revolution's online service, because in theory, Sega as well as other third parties can shoehorn all sorts of cool Genesis games onto the online network. Therefore, we've prepared a list of 17 titles that we feel deserve another shot at stardom when the Revolution debuts at the tail end of 2006.

source- Games Daily http://www.gamedaily.com/specials/Genes ... evolution/

GoNintendo says:
    A lot of us were around in the Genesis VS. Super Nintendo days, back in the day when sides were chosen, and there was no third company to choose from. Now we live in a time where Nintendo and Sega work very well together, and I think we can all say it is for the better. It brings a tear to my eye to see two old enemies become great friends. GameDaily takes us back to the day when Sega was riding high on the Genesis to pick some Sega Genesis titles they would like to see on the Revolution’s virtual console. Do they miss out on some titles you would like to see?
    Name: Gio
    3DS FC: 2535-3740-7063

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revolution Keynote Snippets:

-Will Wright lost to a girl on Brain Training Ok seriously now...

-SEGA Genesis and TurboGrafx games will downloadable, alongside NES, SNES and N64 games! OVER 1000 Genesis/Megadrive games available for download. (ahh.. I can play Golden Axe )

-The Nintendo Virtual Console will be the solution for gamers when it comes to iTune's music service. (hopefully as cheap and not strictly on credit card basis :P)

- Revolution and Rev games playable at E3

-These tools include the controller for Nintendo’s next home console (code-named Revolution), which lets users control the action on their television screens through the motion of the controller itself. The controller lets game developers create new kinds of gaming experiences, ones that enhance the experience for hard-core gamers while making video games more accessible and less intimidating to novices. The new forms of innovative software that can be created by any size developer will be made available for download via Revolution’s Virtual Console service. (Dev tools downloadable? Can we hypothetically create games? )

So far, No Nintendo Go

Fin.

Not your typical wannabe feeling PR mouthpiece

Administrator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retro-bomb announcement @ GDC!

Quote Originally Posted by [url="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gdc/gdc-06iwata-confirms-best-of-sega-genesis-games-available-on-nintendo-revolution-162540.php>Kotaku.com</a>
    Available"]Next-Gen.biz[/url]]During Satoru Iwata's GDC Keynote today, he announced that the Revolution's virtual console will not only support past Nintendo games, but also select Sega and TurboGrafx titles.
    Other similar news:
    GamesIndustry.biz

That's a lot! Sega, PCEngine and Nintendo games all in one console!

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now there's absolutely no reason not to buy the Rev
    Currently Addicted To:
    Scribblenauts!

Administrator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Level
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you told me 15 years ago that the Sega Genesis library would be available for Nintendo I'd never believe you. Not because I didn't think it was possible, but because I don't believe in time travellers.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,607
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jromz03
    Retro-bomb announcement @ GDC!
    Quote Originally Posted by <a href=http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2571&Ite mid=2>Next-Gen.biz</a>
    During Satoru Iwata's GDC Keynote today, he announced that the Revolution's virtual console will not only support past Nintendo games, but also select Sega and TurboGrafx titles.
    Oh. My. GOD! How the heck did they get the licenses on TTI's stuff?!

http://30liv.es - The Philippines' Armpit of Videogame Discussion